Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Once

He protected me once
I know it my not look like it now
With my heart amputated from my cheat 
and sold for pictures of ass shaking woman I will never be
And when that wasn't enough
When more was asked for
my heart was thrown back into my face
with "so what"

It's hard to believe he stood guardian of my heart
If I were any person than me
He would still be here
And I have tried so hard just to get where I was
all to have it snatched back from me
He said he would change my life

Once I was swallowed whole
and held
and wanted
and ....
once
Now, I'm just another one
that has joined the ranks
of stupid 
and available

This itch in my chest has progressed into a thud
like the sound of ripe watermelon
Ripe and ready to consume
I guess that's why he waited so long
So my heart would be ready to consume in his meanness

This would make much more sense
If somehow I'd...
He'd
We'd
But once you turned some roads
your direction is lost forever
and together we turned down separate roads
It's funny 
I'd given myself to empty words
and marionette promises
now the strings are being cut
Am I a real woman now?

Once I had a sentinel of my heart
Who turned into a thief
when he saw he could cash in on my faithfulness to my word
til the wheels fall off
I guess it wouldn't really matter
If you get pushed out of the car
Once I was a woman in progress
With a man supporting the structure
Now I realize 
the only thing supported was him...

I would give anything to go back 
well no, 
I would give anything if peace
would perched at my door
And maybe come in and stay awhile
I would love love with no opposite lying in my bed at night
I would love to stand at the buffet
and get my own plate
Instead of a dish full of scraped plates
I would love to eat a whole sandwich
instead of a sample
I would love to be honored as I am
just once...
just once.

(c) kalonia jennings 11

No comments:

Post a Comment