Thursday, March 27, 2014

Permission

I must have
I must have asked to be here
because they act as if I did
it seems from the moment
my fusion and division took place
I have been asking to be

I asked the womb to let me go
it took it's time in expanding to set me free
all the while forcefully pressing to get me out
all I needed was space to present myself
all I needed was to feel safe
they said I needed things determined to keep me alive
over what I actually expressed I needed

From the moment 
it was determined I was a girl
My role in this world
was woven into the fabric I never asked to wear
all I needed was cloth to keep me warm
they insisted it describe my function
all I needed was protection from the elements
they insisted it express fragility and instability

As I grew
and gained the ability to think
I asked for the right to be seen
to be heard 
my extensive emotional vocabulary
was interpreted through the filters 
of mental chains and false respectability
I was forced to yield to the emotions of others 
before I could protect myself enough
to demand understanding
all I needed was to be loved and accepted 
they told me I could but with condition

Now I find to move in this world
I must act like a ghost
acting from repetitions and broken experiences
I shift myself into subtle acceptability
but never gaining a way in
all I need is to take my place
to walk in the present life has given me
they tell me I can do it
only according to prescription
only in the way they say is right

I must have 
I must have asked to be here
because it seems as if
I spend my life 
asking for permission to be

No comments:

Post a Comment